HR Insights


Your Career Q&A: Work Your Way into HR Management

Posted by Ginger Sullivan on May 12, 2016

Your Career Q&A: Work Your Way into HR Management | Ginger Sullivan | HR Insights blog by CareATC, Inc.In response to a question about upward mobility in HR management, HR career coach Martin Yate offers some advice. Sometimes, in order to get the experience necessary to lead a Human Resources department, an HR professional has to move backward to move foreward.

Yate urges the writer to seek out a job for which she is at least 70% qualified, with the remaining 30% of the job description contributing to skill sets that might qualify her for a future manegerial role.

Yate emphasizes that an "office manager with limited HR duties" might well achieve their goal of a job in management, but the process would be more likely to succeed in 2 or 3 steps, rather than 1. Identifying those steps and commiting to the process will show professionals the way forward in HR.

Read full article at SHRM.

Photo credit: highwaysengland via Foter / CC BY
Ginger Sullivan

About The Author

Ginger Sullivan

As CareATC's Recruiter, Ginger primarily focuses on recruiting top talent for our clinics and Corporate office. She also uses her creativity to help plan Corporate events.

Post Topics Resources for Managers